Social Services

When local residents have trouble making ends meet, handling large utility bills, or feeding their families, they often turn to the parish’s Office of Social Services. The office, directed by Randolph W. Ware, handles a variety of government programs that provide utility assistance, food vouchers, medical (prescription) assistance, and distribution of commodities.

The government programs are on a first come, first served basis, and are specified to serve specific groups, such as the elderly, disabled and households with young children.

Our Programs

Community Service Block Grant

(CSBG) program is a federal program that provides utility assistance, emergency food vouchers and prescription medicine assistance to low income residents. To qualify, residents must meet the poverty guideline for these programs.

Emergency Utility Assistance

This program assists low income families in maintaining adequate housing and a suitable living environment by payment of utility bills. The Office of Social Services will assist residents who are one or more months in arrears, experiencing an unexpected hardship or present a disconnect notice. Assistance for the connection of utility service is also available.

Emergency Food Vouchers

This service is provided during times of disaster or emergencies.

Medical Assistance

This service is provided for low income persons with the high prescription expenses.

Community Food & Nutrition

(CF&N) program - This program provides food vouchers for low income residents. This program is operated through the La. Department of Labor.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance

(LIHEAP) program - This service assists low income households in meeting their home energy needs during periods of extreme seasonal weather conditions.

Federal Emergency Management Agency

(FEMA) - This program is strictly an emergency food and shelter program that is restricted by the federal government. Expenditures are limited to food, meals, shelter (either in a mass sheltering facility or a motel/hotel) rent, mortgage assistance and utility assistance. Guidelines are established by a local board.


This program provides food to low income residents on a quarterly basis. The items are provided by the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank.

Additional Info

How To Apply

To apply for any of the programs and/or services of the Office of Social Services bring the following to the Office:

  • Proof of income, such as Food Stamp printout, SS/SSI, four consecutive check stubs.
  • Proof of address, such as utility bill or picture ID.
  • Proof of legal guardianship if claiming children in the household.

Referral Agencies

Clients referred to Section 8 Housing
State information - HUD

My Brother’s Keeper in Plaquemine
Provides clothes and food

American Red Cross
Provides assistance with food, clothes and utilities
Red Cross

Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank
Provides food
Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank

Contact Us

Randolph Ware

Iberville Parish Courthouse
58050 Meriam Street, 2nd Floor
Plaquemine, LA  70765-5200

Mail Address:
Iberville Office of Social Services
P.O. Box 389
Plaquemine, LA  70764

(225) 687-5243

(225) 687-8518

Monday – Thursday 7:30 am - 5:00 pm
Friday 7:30 am - 11:30 am

Parish Contact

Social Services

P. (225) 687-5243
F.  (225) 687-8518

Iberville Parish Courthouse
58050 Meriam Street, 2nd Floor
Plaquemine, LA 70765-5200

Mail Address
Iberville Office of Social Services
P.O. Box 389
Plaquemine, LA 70764

Monday - Thursday
7:30 am - 5:00 pm
7:30 am - 11:30 am

Randolph Ware