The Village of Rosedale was named for the abundance of wild Cherokee roses found by the English-speaking people who settled the area in 1815. The small, rural community is located at the intersection of La. Hwy. 76 and La. Hwy. 77 among beautiful rustic open fields, cropland and winding rural highways that follow meandering Bayou Grosse Tete. While the economy is largely agricultural today, Rosedale’s serene pastures and rural charm also invite tourists.
The area became a thriving center of commercial activity by the mid-1800s, with a post office established in 1857. The first mail to the area was carried by skiff up Bayou Grosse Tete three days a week as pioneers eagerly awaited correspondence from friends and loved ones. A railroad depot opened in 1859 and it now serves as the Council on Aging facility. Louisiana Central Railroad made three weekly runs through Rosedale, carrying people and goods that helped cement a strong economy.
Rosedale was incorporated in 1955. It has seen much change since its incorporation, including many modernizations. These include: a modern fire department, with an impressive fire station, equipment and active firefighters, a modern water system, playgrounds and parks with ball fields, tennis and basketball courts, and a lighted walking trail; hard-surfaced streets and street lighting, sidewalks in the main areas of the village, a library, a senior citizen center, a renovated village hall and maintenance building, complete with equipment, tractors and vehicles, and a fully equipped police department.
These progressive achievements resulted in the Village receiving the prestigious Community Achievement Award for outstanding community improvement in basic services from the Louisiana Municipal Association in 1997. Today, the Village of Rosedale is revered for its quiet, tranquil country life on the bayou.