Start A Business

Government > Resources

Start A Business

Iberville Parish and its government are committed to encouraging, supporting, and assisting new business development within the parish. Business development provides a major contribution to economic growth.

To make it as easy as possible to do business in Iberville Parish we provide individuals and businesses within the parish with licenses, and other requirements for operation of a new business. To get started first review the municipal codes for your business area and download our New Business Checklist.

The new business checklist indicates the local, and state departments or agencies that issue licenses and permits and other requirements for opening a new business. You must contact each of the offices designated for the specific purposes noted. The requirements of each governmental agency, as well as the fees necessary, are included in the checklist.

We hope you will find this information useful. If you need further assistance with your new business or local tax matters, contact the Sales & Use Tax department.

Additional Info

  1. Apply with Louisiana State Department of Revenue and Taxation.
  2. Apply with Iberville Environmental Health Services, when involving food, beverages, and/or alcohol.
    • After State and Board of Health approval, apply with Iberville Parish.
  3. When applying for a new business, Beer & Liquor Applications must be initialed by councilman in area where business is to be located.
  1. Apply with Iberville Parish Sales Tax Department using the forms provided here.
  2. If in city limits, a clearance must be obtained from the Iberville Parish Sales Tax Department, then taken to the city where business is located for purchase of your occupational license.
  3. State requires a clearance from Parish for Alcohol & Tobacco and Video Poker.
  4. State requires advertisement on Alcohol with local paper - check with state.

Iberville Parish, Louisiana sales tax is 9.45%, consisting of 4.45% state sales tax and 5.00% local sales taxes (higher rates apply to businesses inside the St. Gabriel City limits).

Iberville Parish Sales Tax is collected by the merchant on all qualifying sales made within the parish. If you are a business that is required to pay sales or hotel taxes, then you must download and complete a Sales & Use Tax Application.

You will also need the following information: 

  • Physical Location and Mailing Address
  • Driver's license # and Social Security #
  • If Corporation: Name of Officers
  • If Selling Food: Approved Health Permit

To pay your sales tax, view tax rates, or to learn more visit the Sales & Use Tax page.

When opening a new business providing retail sales of goods and services, you must also apply for State Sales & Use Tax Registration with Louisiana Department of Revenue. 

Louisiana Department of Revenue & Taxation
617 N. 3rd Street, Baton Rouge, LA 70801

p. (225) 219-7318

Unincorporated Areas, please contact our Sales & Use Tax Department. There is a $50 minimum fee.

If business is located in the corporate limits of any municipality in Iberville Parish, a clearance letter must first be obtained from the Sales Tax Office upon applying for an Occupational License with the municipality.

For cost of licenses, contact each town/city: 

What you will need:

  1. Class of License
  2. Gross Sales (if renewal)
  3. Local Sales Tax Registration

The local health department must be contacted if you are selling food, beverages, and/or alcohol. A packet of materials to obtain the required food permit and a schedule of inspections will be provided by the health department. 

Iberville Environmental Health Services
58030 Meriam St, Plaquemine, LA 70764

p. (225) 687-5882    f. (225) 687-5888

Any establishment serving alcohol or tobacco needs to secure an alcohol and/or tobacco license.

Download an application to begin:

*You must contact the councilman in the area where your business is to be located and have them initial your beer/liquor applications.

Any establishment serving alcohol or tobacco must also contact the following agency:

Office of Alcohol & Tobacco Control
7979 Independence Blvd, Ste. 101, Baton Rouge, LA 70806

p. (225) 925-4041    w.

*You will need State and Local Sales Tax Clearance Certificates.

Before starting a business you should first check whether there are any permitting requirements under the local zoning bylaws or ordinances in your community. Otherwise, failure to abide by zoning regulations and permit requirements could result in significant fines or an order to cease business operations.

Select your municipality below to get started:

*If your city is not listed above and/or for the most up-to-date information, contact each town/city directly.